Re: Garden Crime Blotter

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Garden Crime Blotter
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 11:54:38 EDT

Friends,

As always, with any cooperative human endeavor, the best policy is to is
trust,  but verify.

While I shared with you a particularly egregious example of garden chicanery,
and Mr. Mead from Seattle shared another distressing incident,  I believe
that the general run of us could be trusted with 20 dollars, which is more
than I can say about most US Corporate Boards of late.

By way of  contrast, the assembled crew of gardeners that I met at last
week's NYC ACGA conference were among the most benign that I have ever met -
great souls.  Who would have ever thought it? French community gardeners
reaching out to create community despite cultural norms that view individuals
and families as the central unit;  the awe-inspiring example of community
gardeners from Sarajevo who gardened in the face of sniper fire in a horrible
ethnic conflict.

Community gardeners aren't perfect (as anyone who has met me will certainly
attest)  but we strive.  Stuffing a ballot box for a cause is as American as
cherry pie.  Again, we have to trust, verify and maintain a sense of humor
about the process.

Happy gardening,
Adam Honigman