RE: soil testing

  • Subject: RE: [cg] soil testing
  • From: "John Verin" jverin@Pennhort.org
  • Date: Thu, 15 Aug 2002 17:08:59 -0400

U Mass does also test for aluminum, as part of their standard test. They do other heavy metals for an small extra fee (less than anywhere else I've seen).

Cadmium is a concern too, which can be in galvanized nails etc., often used to nail shingles down. Thus the cadmium can be on vacant lots where building were demolished, and more importantly, around buildings that are still standing.

And this was mailed to me from someone at OG...

"Thank you for your interest in ORGANIC GARDENING. Recent reports caution

that some shingles are treated with chemicals to inhibit moss growth, and

that such chemicals could leach from the shingles. Thus, we are advising

caution in using runoff water from asphalt-shingled roofs.

In every issue of OG, you'll find specific guidance on how to "do it

yourself" the organic way. To subscribe, call 1-800-666-2206 or visit

http://www.organicgardening.com"

Happy gardening,

Paco John Verin
City Wide Coordinator - Philadelphia Green
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
100 North 20th Street, 5th floor
Philadelphia, PA  19103-1495
Phone: 215-988-8885; Fax 215-988-8810