RE: FWD: Tree Seedlings??

  • Subject: RE: [cg] FWD: Tree Seedlings??
  • From: "John Verin" jverin@pennhort.org
  • Date: Thu, 22 Aug 2002 09:15:39 -0400

In gathering seed, be sure it is seed of native varieties. It's not wise to randomly gather seed if that seed includes exotic invasive species. For example, our woods in Phila., PA has lots of Norway Maple. I'm bound to find its seed everywhere, yet would be perpetuating a grave problem by sowing it.

My recommendation is if you're not sure that it's native, don't plant it.

Paco John Verin
City Wide Coordinator - Philadelphia Green
The Pennsylvania Horticultural Society
100 North 20th Street, 5th floor
Philadelphia, PA  19103-1495
Phone: 215-988-8885; Fax 215-988-8810