Re: storing perennials

  • Subject: [cg] Re: storing perennials
  • From: "lisa vandyke" vandykelisa@hotmail.com
  • Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 09:29:02 -0500

Hi,
Lisa;

I wasn't able to find a link to TRE Nursery, do you
have a more direct one?  I did bookmark the extension
page, it's got a lot of good information.

so sorry about the lack of links to the TRE Nursery at the U of MN site, I also have a tough time digging through the University's web sites,but here are a few sites (papers) written about overwintering that might help.

http://www.hort.agri.umn.edu/woody/TRE/Nursery_Management_I/Overwintering/Overwintering%20Lecture%20(new).htm
This is a lecture, with a lot of shorthand, but a good overview.

http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/crops/trees/nursery8.html
This is a nice general nursery site
And these are articles about overwintering woodies that go into more detail:
http://hcs.osu.edu/basicgreen/containerproduction/overwintering1.htm
http://hcs.osu.edu/basicgreen/containerproduction/overwintering2.htm
http://hcs.osu.edu/basicgreen/containerproduction/coldfact.htm
Again, the important piece is to stabilize the plant material, temperatures and moisture. If it's already hardy, keeping it in the ground is the best start, then adding cover at the appropriate time (based on your own weather patterns).

When you say what I've got "should do fine", do you
mean in the basement or stored outside?
When I said that you would do fine, I meant with whatever you tried. This is partly practical, partly my philosophy. I guess I feel that gardening is something that we all love so much, enjoy so much, and depend upon, but we will never be able to control all of the conditions. It's just that lack of control that makes every year more exciting, more beautiful and rewarding.I study the science of it all and there are still so many questions...
Hope that helps, and I wish you the best as this season winds down and the next one approaches.
Lisa