Re: Gardening and Microenterprise

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Gardening and Microenterprise
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Wed, 6 Aug 2003 15:43:58 EDT

Connie,

Boy are you ambitious - with FFA's ( Future Farmers of America) closing down
left and right ,you want to teach kids to be gardeners and businesspeople at
the same time.

You want to teach these poor innocent kids how they can have their hearts
broken as farmers, eh?  Put these innocents out there marketing their produce
while the larger agribusiness concerns are putting family farms out of business
everyday?  A rough business, for sure.

 Honestly, in many of our lower income neighborhoods, there are kids who have
worked alongside their parents as migrant workers when the folks from child
welfare or the State Labor Dept. weren't looking.  I know more than a few here
in NYC.  Most still have their fingers.

Now some community gardens do sell their produce at farmer's markets or
contribute them to soup kitchens.  One Bronx outfit that has teenage participants
sells hydroponic greens raised on roof tops at the Council for the
Environment's Green Markets in NYC during the winter.

Here is a link to the Greenmarket program so you can hunt them down: <A
HREF="http://www.cenyc.org/HTMLGM/maingm.htm";>CENYC Greenmarket</A>

But my choice, as a parent and gardener with some attachment, however tenuous
to reality, would be to teach the kids how to garden and how to enjoy
it...savor the flavor of what they grow
<< Subj:     [cg] Gardening and Microenterprise