community gardens

  • Subject: [cg] community gardens
  • From: "Fiona White" fiwhite@hotkey.net.au
  • Date: Fri, 22 Aug 2003 06:59:10 +1000

Dear Sir,
I am the co-ordinator of a project in Australia which involves the development of community gardens as part of an agri-tourism and community harmony initiative.  We have 26 - 50 acres of land which will be divided into alotments.  The town we are in is Armidale NSW which is 5 hours north of Sydney and is home to the University of New England.
We have a high indigineous community here with large numbers of youth unemployment, crime, drug addiction, teenage pregnancy and so on.   The aim of the gardens and the facility is to bring community together from all spectrums, provide means of teaching basic living skills, provide programs such as early intervention and parenting skills and the like.
I came across your sight and wondered if you could provide me with more information on the gardens, how they function, their management, courses and community participation programs that are run, the history of the project there, the success of the project, what expertise has been required in order to oversee its success, the involvement of the local community, the effect it has had on youth and early and crime intervention and what elements ensure its success.
I appreciate your time with this matter, I understand my questions are very broad, however I am writing initial plans for the development and seeking of funding for the project and your assistance and expertise in this matter would be greatly appreciated.
Kind Regards,
Fiona White
Tilbuster Station
11312 New England Highway