Re: (no subject)

  • Subject: Re: [cg] (no subject)
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 26 Aug 2003 11:20:21 EDT

1) As an ACGA board member, you should be familiar with the St. Louis
Whitmire  Study out of Gwenne Hayes Stewart's Gateway Greening outfit and a nearby
University:   <A
HREF="http://stlouis.missouri.org/gatewaygreening/WhitmireStudy.htm";>Whitmire Study</A> . The Whitmire is an amazingly useful collection of
quantifiable information on community gardens and the neighborhoods they serve,
dealing with research on neighborhood stability, crime reduction, etc.

2) The link between crime reduction and community gardening  seems to be
acknowledged internationally. Here is the community greening page from Sydney,
Australia's  Royal Botanic Garden website:
<A HREF="http://www.rbgsyd.gov.au/education_kids_zone/community_greening";>
Royal Botanic Garden Sydney - Community Greening</A>

This paragraph from that page is particularly interesting:

" By promoting communal gardening in public housing estates, and on nearby
community locations, we make a significant contribution to improved social
cohesion, crime reduction and public health in both urban and regional New South

You may want to to contact the Royal Botanic Garden directly to query their
methodology.  I would suggest, however, that you please use the word, "please"
somewhere in the text of your query - the word, oddly enough,  remains
standard usage in most English speaking countries,  and its absence may be considered

3) This is a pdf link to a seminal paper:  " Environment and Crime in the
Inner City: Does Vegetation Reduce Crime?" by Kuo & Sullivan. <A
HREF="http://www.herl.uiuc.edu/IMAGES/scientific_article_CC.pdf";>Kuo & Sullivan</A> . It is
often cited in public greening and planning discussions - you should make
yourself familiar with it.

Best wishes and good luck in your search,
Adam Honigman

<< Subj:     [cg] (no subject)