RE: Chlordane and Soils

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Chlordane and Soils
  • From: "Chris Kirby" ckirby@regionalfoodbank.org
  • Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 12:38:37 -0500

Hi Katherine,

One of our affiliated community gardens ran into the same problem as you
have and through testing found out that the chlordane levels were too
high for growing.  Allen Parleir, the leader of the garden, did
considerable research on the topic and found a bio remediation
microorganism soil from a company in Arkansas.  They had the mix hauled
in and applied to the lots that were contaminated and also grew rye on
the lots for soil conditioning and I think additional uptake of the
chlordane.  It took several years but the lots are now virtually clear
of chlordane and they are growing on them.  I do not have all of the
facts but will pass this email on to Allen so he can give you the
contact information, who and how he did the soil sampling with and more
specific information on how they did their remediation.  Good luck.

Chris Kirby
Urban Harvest Director
Regional Food Bank of Oklahoma
405-604-7108