Now for my question re: Knot weed and weeds in general

  • Subject: [cg] Now for my question re: Knot weed and weeds in general
  • From: danyel bailey danyelbailey24@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 24 Aug 2006 04:51:11 -0700 (PDT)

Our little slice of heaven becomes OVERRUN with knot
weed every year! Can anyone tell me how to get rid of
it? I've heard of vinegar and will probably try that
but thought I'd ask about specific methods to fight
knot weed. OR can anyone tell me why we should keep it
or contain it in a small part of a our garden?

Also, our open space has become very overrun with
weeds in general, and I'd like to get advice on
keeping them out longer. The garden is two years old
and established before my time. I can tell that
cardboard was put down and wood chips over that. Black
plastic is out as we are organic. I've suggested to
the other gardeners that we get more wood chips...
because I've heard that mulch should be 3" deep... no
one seemed to care one way or the other but I'm sure
the original gardeners hated to hear about carting
wood chips again. Anyone have any opinions on getting
more wood chips? Or how to control the weeds better?
I'm a garden leader and want to succeed but I feel
overwhelmed by the amount of weeds we have and I'm
sure the other gardeners do too.

Thank you.