Garden Insurance in California

Bill,

The first thing you should do is to go the American Community Gardening
Website links section and check out the California Community Gardening links.
 <A HREF="http://www.communitygarden.org">American Community Gardening
Association</A>

2) Here's a list of California Contacts. Most of these folks should be able
to give you some California based solutions to your insurance quandary:

Community Gardening around California

The following individuals and organizations are useful contacts for
information about gardening, community gardening, school gardening and
horticultural therapy projects in their respective regions.

Central California
Donna Zick
Community Environmental Council
909 12th Street, Suite 200, Sacramento, CA 95814
Phone: 916-447-7063
E-mail: dzick@aol.com

Listings for the SF Bay Area

Southern Coast
Oscar Carmona
Community Environmental Council
930 Miramonte Dr., Santa Barbara, CA 93109
Phone: 805-963-0583, ext. 114
E-mail: garden@rain.org

Northern California
John Jeavons
Ecology Action
5798 Ridgewood Road, Willits, CA 95490
Phone: Mail inquiries only

Los Angeles/Southern California

Chris Braswell
L.A. Grows
4240 E. Hammel St., Los Angeles, CA 90063
Phone: 213-526-1460
E-mail: growingla@aol.com

Yvonne Savio
Common Ground/U.C. Cooperative Extension
2 Coral Circle, Monterey Park, CA 91755
Phone: 213-838-4532
E-mail: ydsavio@ucdavis.edu

Farmer Net
A Web listing of farmers markets and community gardens in the LA area.

San Diego/Southern California
Vince Lazaneo
U.C. Cooperative Extension
5555 Overland Ave., Bldg. 4, San Diego, CA 92123
Phone: 619-694-2845
E-mail: vflazaneo@ucdavis.edu

California Community Gardening Network
Mark Westwind, The Praxis Group
2131 Tacoma Ave., Martinez, CA 94553
Phone: 925-372-8486
E-mail: westwind@ccnet.com

3) The archives from this listserve should be helpful. Keep going back in the
archives <A HREF="http://www.mallorn.com/lists/community_garden/">
community_garden archives</A>

4) I'd talk to a lawyer. Look at the community gardening organizing recipes
on the main website and figure with your friends how you want to organize
your group. I like the democratically elected steering committee model
organized under a not-for-profit corporation - the 501(c) (3). See what you
feel comfortable with.

5) Being a paranoid New Yorker type, I am the kind of nut that would look a
gift horse/loan  of a 3-4 acre space in the mouth. It would make sense to
make local inquiries about the use of the land, to see if the nice utility
company or any other occupant of the area used it as a dumping ground for
chemicals, etc. The nice California contacts above could point you towards
your local Agricultural Extension for the kind of pre-gardening soil testing
you would want to do. If there are high concentrations of  heavy metals,
chemicals or whatever in the soil, you may want to pass - The idea, however
of 3 acres blows me away, we garden on a 150x100 ft area in Midtown Manhattan
at the Clinton Community Garden:  <A
HREF="http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/">Clinton Community Garden</A> .

We buy insurance through the NYC based Neighhorhood Open Space Coallition
which provides the garden, a 501(c) (3) corporation with liability insurance
against accidents. This is part of our lease agreement with NYC.

 I don't know why your friendly neighborhood utility wants to be the
beneficiary of your garden's insurance: it doesn't compute. Maybe you got the
message wrong? Anyway, I suggest strongly that you discuss this with
California based community gardening people before you proceed.

There's no reason to re-invent the wheel. Please let us all know how this
turns out for you.

Happy gardening.
Adam Honigman

insurance

--

we want to start a community garden.  we are just neighbors and not an
organization or non-profit.  We have found a parcel of land owned by a

thank you