Re: Garden Insurance in California

Thanks to Adam for list.

Two changes re Los Angeles/Southern California listings:

1.      Chris Braswell is no longer at LA Grows, LA Grows no longer exists,
and no one has been hired to take his place at Los Angeles Conservation
Corps at the Hammel Street address.  Phone number area code has been
changed to (323).

2.      Yvonne Savio's phone number area code has changed to (323).

Thanks!

At 06:26 PM 12/04/2000 -0500, you wrote:

>Bill,
>

>The first thing you should do is to go the American Community Gardening
>Website links section and check out the California Community Gardening links.
>  <A HREF="http://www.communitygarden.org">American Community Gardening
>Association</A>
>
>2) Here's a list of California Contacts. Most of these folks should be able
>to give you some California based solutions to your insurance quandary:
>
>Community Gardening around California
>

>The following individuals and organizations are useful contacts for
>information about gardening, community gardening, school gardening and
>horticultural therapy projects in their respective regions.
>
>Central California
>Donna Zick
>Community Environmental Council
>909 12th Street, Suite 200, Sacramento, CA 95814
>Phone: 916-447-7063
>E-mail: dzick@aol.com
>
>Listings for the SF Bay Area
>
>Southern Coast
>Oscar Carmona
>Community Environmental Council
>930 Miramonte Dr., Santa Barbara, CA 93109
>Phone: 805-963-0583, ext. 114
>E-mail: garden@rain.org
>
>Northern California
>John Jeavons
>Ecology Action
>5798 Ridgewood Road, Willits, CA 95490
>Phone: Mail inquiries only
>

>Los Angeles/Southern California
>
>Chris Braswell
>L.A. Grows
>4240 E. Hammel St., Los Angeles, CA 90063
>Phone: 213-526-1460
>E-mail: growingla@aol.com
>
>Yvonne Savio
>Common Ground/U.C. Cooperative Extension
>2 Coral Circle, Monterey Park, CA 91755
>Phone: 213-838-4532
>E-mail: ydsavio@ucdavis.edu
>
>Farmer Net
>A Web listing of farmers markets and community gardens in the LA area.
>
>San Diego/Southern California
>Vince Lazaneo
>U.C. Cooperative Extension
>5555 Overland Ave., Bldg. 4, San Diego, CA 92123
>Phone: 619-694-2845
>E-mail: vflazaneo@ucdavis.edu
>
>California Community Gardening Network
>Mark Westwind, The Praxis Group
>2131 Tacoma Ave., Martinez, CA 94553
>Phone: 925-372-8486
>E-mail: westwind@ccnet.com
>

>3) The archives from this listserve should be helpful. Keep going back in the
>archives <A HREF="http://www.mallorn.com/lists/community_garden/">
>community_garden archives</A>
>
>4) I'd talk to a lawyer. Look at the community gardening organizing recipes
>on the main website and figure with your friends how you want to organize
>your group. I like the democratically elected steering committee model
>organized under a not-for-profit corporation - the 501(c) (3). See what you
>feel comfortable with.
>
>5) Being a paranoid New Yorker type, I am the kind of nut that would look a
> [...]

Yvonne Savio
Common Ground Garden Program Manager
University of California Cooperative Extension in Los Angeles County
2 Coral Circle, Monterey Park, CA 91755
Phone:	323-838-4532
Fax:		(323) 838-7408
Email:		ydsavio@ucdavis.edu
Website:	celosangeles.ucdavis.edu

Volunteers of the Common Ground Garden Program--Master Gardeners, Master
Food Preservers, Gardening Angels (school gardens), and Community
Gardens--help low-income county residents grow and eat more of their own food.