RE: Re: questions about c gardening

It seems obvious to me that the "need" is greatest in large cities and poorer neighborhoods.  That "need" obviously takes many shapes many of which have been discussed on this listserv before (commune with nature, safety, food security, community building, recreation, etc...) I believe it also has something to do with funding sources (but I am not that cynical to believe that is the only reason, but a factor).  I just wanted to say that in Seattle we have lots of gardens that are in mixed income or higher income areas...there are a lot of the gardeners that have money but garden for various other reasons.  I would agree that our areas of greatest demand are in those areas most densely populated and void of much open space in addition to the lack of ownership.  I like the fact that Seattle's gardens have mixed incomes in the gardens...diversity is where its at!

Thanks,
Sandy Pernitz
Dept. of Neighborhoods, (City of Seattle)
P-Patch Community Gardening Program
(684-0264)
sandy.pernitz@ci.seattle.wa.us

"On some positions, cowardice asks the question, is it expedient?
And then expedience comes along and asks the question, is it politic?
Vanity asks the question, is it popular?
Conscience asks the question, is it right?"
-Martin Luther King, Jr.

>>> "John Verin" <jverin@pennhort.org> 12/06/00 06:49AM >>>
>
> Dealing with queries from my editor at New Age Journal and would like your
> opinions:
>
> 1) WHY are most community gardens in low-income neighborhoods??
> If they are?

All IMHO...

Because there the people are landless, and probably don't even own the place
they live in. It is the one thing they can really call their own. Landless
but financially stable people have the means to take trips and vacations to
places with nature.

Also, a garden is a place of self-expression coming from communities whose
voice is least heard in our nation.

> 2) WHY are most community gardens in large or largish cities?

Because the need for natural life is least present and most needed there.
Because Nature is asking that we restore its presence on its planet. Because
humans intrinsically need nature to cultivate a connection to life, and
where there is none, those who intuitively know this are responding to the
call.