Re: Re: questions about c gardening

Cynthia wrote:

>2) WHY are most community gardens in large or largish cities?

Because that's where folks don't have enough land at their houses to have
gardens.  Here in Phoenixville, almost all of our gardeners live in either
apartments or the Historic District where the houses were built up close to
the steel mill.  The folks who live in houses built AFTER 1940 were built on
lots where they have enough room to have their own gardens.

We have a regular amount of turnover where someone lives in an apartment and
is saving up to buy a house -- once they have enough to buy a house with
land (which, of course, they want because they are a gardener), they leave
the community garden and garden on their own land.  We keep them on our
mailing list as "friends" and they will often come out and help us on work
days (if they are still in the area) as they are grateful for the time they
were able to garden when they didn't own any land.

I suspect it's the same deal on income -- folks with lots of income can buy
their own land, although the school gardening and nursing home garden
movement is based more on the idea of teaching or therapy, so isn't so
income based.

Any other thoughts?

Dorene Pasekoff, Coordinator

A mission of