RE: Re: community garden resources

Ann Audette and friends,

Our website is currently being worked on by one of our garden volunteers, a
mother with two young children. We will have more pictures, more up-to-date
information, but for now the Clinton Community Garden in cyberspace is in
the shop. Sorry for the inconvenience. Ann, your resource links are great.
I'm real glad that you're on-line.

In real space, the Garden  is mulched, has suet balls set up for the small
birds  We'll have to reseed a large part of our lawn because the hundreds of
pigeons that a mistaken neighbor keeps as pets out of madness or loneliness.
She feeds them in her apartment and on a nearby corner and the neighborhood
is working on a humane solution.

 Our bees are hibernating ( with plenty of honey left over in the hive  to
survive the winter.)  The compost bins are working up a head of steam and
are fed and turned by neighborhood residents.  Most of us are planning out
our "square inch" gardens for the fall, hoping that all our bulbs will
blossom and that our perennials will be perennial.

Our steering committee and volunteers are planning for 2001, doing
maintenance work, preparing for our annual meeting, repairing and oiling
tools, tending to the compost, raking leaves and doing all the stuff that
keeps a community garden going. Our snow shovels are in the shed waiting for
us should we get a snowfall that needs clearing from the sidewalk in front
of the garden.

We're planning for the 9th Avenue Food Fair in May where we sell t-shirts,
hats, coffee cups and other items emblazoned with garden logos as well as
circulating a funding letter to keyholders and possible funders. It's grant
writing time, and the volunteers who work on them are doing heavy labor (
the pen if oft-times mightier than the trowel.) As we hosted the Summer
Solstice Green Thumb comunity garden celebration for the last two  years, we
may be asked to host it again. It's weird planning for summer events at
meeting in the winter, but that's how it goes.

Winter routine:
We also have trash to take out in winter: some of our 2000 keyholders like
to walk around the garden in winter, meditate, enjoy some of Manhattan's
best community run open space. It's our pleasure to throw out the coffee
cups. It isn't like the summer when the cans are filled with everything and
we need extra bags to handle it all ( baby diapers and all.)

A few of us show up during our lunch hours and before work at court houses,
East Village garden sites to offer support, a couple of bucks for defense
funds, but mostly to render whatever support we can to our friends.

 Our large pine tree is filled, still, with singing birds two and a half
blocks away from Time's Square, seven and a half blocks from where they drop
the ball on New Year's eve.

See you in cyberspace soon.
Best wishes for the winter solstice, however you celebrate it.

Adam Honigman