job in Seattle
Title: job in Seattle
SERVICE CORPS OPENING AT FREMONT PUBLIC ASSOCIATION
JOB TITLE: Lettuce Link Program Assistant (Washington State Service Corps)
JOB SUMMARY: Maintain the .5 acre organic farm in South Park, Seattle.
Washington State Service Corps was established in 1983 and is the oldest publicly- funded state-wide service program in the nation and was created by the state legislature to provide young adults with opportunities to serve their communities. Washington State Service Corps works with non-profit agencies so to present opportunities to young adults who want to help fill a critical need in their community.
- Plant, maintain, harvest and distributing produce in our South Park farm.
- Recruit and coordinating volunteer activities and work parties.
- Conduct outreach to nearby elementary school and health clinic.
- Work with classes at Concord Elementary School teaching them about organic gardening.
- Be a U.S. Citizen or U. S. National or permanent Resident Alien of the United States.
- Have a high school GED or agree to obtain one while serving.
- Washington State Service Corp requires participants to be between the ages of 18-25 at the date of hire.
- Experience with organic gardening or farming.
- Able to coordinate and lead volunteers a diverse group of volunteers and clients
- Demonstrated leadership skills
- Experience or desire to work with youth
- Able to work outdoors and lift 25 lbs.
- Spanish speaking, preferred
HOURS AND COMPENSATION: This is a fulltime Americorp stipended position for 11 months beginning January 15th, 2001, paying $800 per month, plus health insurance, $200 training allowance and may receive child care assistance if income-eligible. At the completion of service, the participant is granted a $4,725 education award
TO APPLY: Applicants must complete a standard FPA application form which can be obtained at: 1501 North 45th Street, Seattle, by calling our jobline at (206) 694-6840 or applying on-line at www.fremontpublic.org. Completed applications may be mailed to: Fremont Public Association, PO Box 3151, Seattle, WA 98103. Please attach a resume if available.
CLOSING DATE: when position is filled.
THE FREMONT PUBLIC ASSOCIATION IS AN AFFIRMATIVE ACTION AND EQUAL EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER. PEOPLE OF COLOR, WOMEN AND PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES ARE STRONGLY ENCOURAGED TO APPLY.