RE: Contribution - Care With Wood Chips

  • Subject: RE: [cg] Contribution - Care With Wood Chips
  • From: "Jim.Call" <jimcall@casagarden.com>
  • Date: Mon, 3 Dec 2001 10:13:01 -0600

In our garden, we use wood chips given to us freely from a local Tree
Maintenance company.  No PT wood here.  If you go this route, ask for clean
loads otherwise you may get alot of small limbs with their donation.  We use
them in our garden paths only.  If you use them as the sole mulching
material in your garden, it will tie up the nitrogen in the soil during its
decomposting process.  Most gardeners who use wood chips to break up clayey
type (Alabama) or poor soil will add additional nitrogen to it.

                                Best Regards,  Jim Call, CASA Community
Garden Volunteer Dir.