RE: CONEJO VALLEY COMMUNITY GARDEN GETS O.K FOR GRANT, BUT...

  • Subject: RE: [cg] CONEJO VALLEY COMMUNITY GARDEN GETS O.K FOR GRANT, BUT...
  • From: "Honigman, Adam" <Adam.Honigman@Bowne.com>
  • Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 12:47:32 -0500

Friend,

The city of Thousand Oaks needs to protect itself from exposure to
litigation. There legal division  has  told them that if someone steps on a
garden rake or heavens forbid, chokes to death on a peach pit from one of
your wonderful trees, that your municipality, as an alleged deep-pocket,
will not have to defend itself from predatory personal liability attorneys
in our best-of-all-possible-worlds U.S. of A. torts system.

Also, when you deal with a governmental or not-for-profit grantor, there are
always strings attached.

Depending on governmental largesse in this country will generally disappoint
you, unless you are a defense contractor, agribusinessman or a large
corporate campaign contributor.

The some members of garden that I volunteer in are  working to help change
land use policy in our city to include community gardens as a recognized
land use. Policy is the best thing to lobby government for, not money,
during this recession.

However, while our garden writes grant applications like crazy, we also
sell garden logo  t-shirts, coffee mugs, honey and other products at garden
events and at major local street fairs.

We also maintain a large open lawn with attractively designed flower beds
suitable for social events. While we don't and will never charge for special
events accomodating ten or more people,  like weddings, memorial services,
concerts, dance and theater presentations, we DO accept donations to help
keep up the place.

Again, risking the oppobrium to pure souls on this listserv who believe that
anything other than a coffee can with dimes and nickels in it is "sinful or
corrupting" ,  being a 501(c)(3) or having the use of an umbrella
organization's tax-free status is helpful to donors of larger  gifts. Having
"cash in hand" for capital expenses, insurance or, God forbid, litigation is
always better than having to go out with a beggar's cup during emergencies.
Of course, you have to have an elected  steering committee with regular
monthly meetings, a treasurer who makes reports, good minutes and elected
members with integrity not to take the takings to Vegas to make this happen.

As you know, the Neighborhood Open Space Coalition in NYC is trying to see
if our garden insurance company ( which provides low cost community garden
insurance to participating NYC community gardens) will cover you in Thousand
Oaks.

Best wishes,
Adam Honigman