Re: Re: MGs as resource for low-income community gardeners

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Re: MGs as resource for low-income community gardeners
  • From: "Deborah Mills" deborah@greencure.org
  • Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2003 10:49:06 -0800

I have to say I take my hat off to Yvonne for all the hard work she has
done. Last year I went down to LA as a presenter and it was obivious to me
the outstanding job she has done to create a solid program that truly
assists the low-income population. What a contrast from our MG program in
Ventura County.

Keep up the good work!
Deborah Mills

> >Regarding previous messages bemoaning MGs being predominantly interested
> >in pretty
> >plants in upperscale garden projects--
> >
> >Our program is vastly different!  We serve ONLY low-income and
> >limited-income folks.
> >
> >Our Los Angeles County Common Ground Garden Program, in which Master
> >Gardeners operate, focuses on helping low- and limited-income county
> >residents to grow and eat more nutritious vegetables and fruits.  MGs
> >receive training in organic gardening and outreach techniques, and they
> >earn their hours only in gardens helping these folks.  When I first
> >resuscitated the program 10 years ago, we sought gardeners who were
> >interested in volunteering.  After a couple of years, we recognized that
we
> >weren't connecting with low-income folks, so we changed our tact 180
> >degrees.  We advertised wanting volunteers who were interested in the
> >basics of gardening, and I visited all 60 of the community gardens to
drum
> >up interest in getting someone from each of the gardens to be a Master
> >Gardener, the "resident personal expert" for each garden.  These two
> >efforts have made all the difference.  Besides having at least one MG at
> >almost all of the gardens, we now are attracting many more people and
> >funders to the program because of our networking and connecting emphasis.
> >
> >In addition, as part of the outreach networking during the course, I
invite
> >MGs to give a 5-minute (!) presentation on their projects during the
lunch
> >hour, and they must also have a signup sheet for a scheduled workshop.
In

mglosangeleshelpline@ucdavis.edu