Re: offering tilling as part of community garden services

  • Subject: [cg] Re: offering tilling as part of community garden services
  • From: "Libby J. Goldstein" libby@igc.org
  • Date: Wed, 17 Dec 2003 20:16:34 -0500

Title: [cg] Re: offering tilling as part of community garden
Our garden has been going since 1976, and the only time we till (or threaten to) is in August if a garden has been abandoned or allowed to go to weeds. After tilling the garden is turned over to another gardener for fall crops.

We've generally found that hand tillage is sufficient unto the day, and many of us do no-till entirely.

In the beginning we had to use picks to turn the soil, but after all these years of adding organic matter, I just use a trowel when transplanting. Otherwise, I add amendments on top of the soil and let the worms and other beasts do my work for me.

Happy Holidays,

Libby