Re: water use estimate in Portland, Oregon

  • Subject: [cg] Re: water use estimate in Portland, Oregon
  • From: Don Boekelheide dboekelheide@yahoo.com
  • Date: Thu, 30 Dec 2004 10:54:57 -0800 (PST)

Hi, Rodney,

I agree with Leslie - who luckily is right there in
Portland to help out - and Mike's gadget sounds pretty
promising, too. Might get me one.

That said, and at risk of getting blown into
smitherines, here is my rough guess at a plausible
_maximum_ amount (you probably are using less).

My assumptions are that you want to water about an
inch a week, rule of thumb for veggies, and that about
half your garden (about 80x80? total) is used for
growing things and the other half for paths, sheds and
other stuff. That gives about 3440 sq ft for growing.

In Portland, you have a long growing season when you
might want to water - about 36 weeks, March through
October (the other months it rains over an inch a
week). Subtracting the 16 inches of rain that falls
during the growing period gives the equivalent of 20
inches left that you need to provide. That works out
to about 43000 gallons, or 5733 cubic feet of water
per year.

That's just a very rough guess - you still need to
measure, you need to check my assumptions (how much
are are you really cultivating and watering? Do you
need an inch a week when you are just starting - or
more in mid-summer?), and you can always conserve
water.

For instance, if you can harvest rainfall from the
apartment roofs, you might be able to cut your water
bill to zip, except in mid-summer. Daniel Winterbottom
at University of Washington up in Seattle has some
great techniques - Leslie can put you in touch with
him.

Good luck (and nobody throw anything at me, please...)

Don B. Charlotte, NC

 Message: 1