RE: Southeast Asian Gardening materials

Ms. Rabin:

1)Contact US Dept of Agriculture, US Dept of State, USAID for contacts in
all of the South East Asian countries you are interested in. If you can get
letters of introductions from these folks to help open doors, all the

2) Contact UNESCO, UNICEF, and the United Nations Missions of the nations
you are interested in surveying by sending then a letter about you project
and your aims. Our community garden in NYC gets diplomatic  volunteers from
UN missions on  occasion doing weeding and other gardening chores on our
weekly volunteer day. Some do it for propaganda purposes ( look how friendly
we are, etc, solidarity with working peoples, etc.) others because they
genuinely like to garden. Gardening is friendly and international. You may
be surprised at the responses you get!

3) Contact the New York Botanical Society, The Royal Botanical Observatory
at Kew                   ( England) and their French, Dutch and Indian
Sub-Continental equivalents.Be sure they all get copied on your final work,
get nice thank you notes and , if particularly helpful, acknowledgements in
the text.

3) Contact Orchid Societies, because many specimens are collected in South
East Asia.Ditto on copies, thank yous and acknowledgements!

Good luck!

Adam Honigman

Bowne Publishing Division
345 Hudson Street