Re: community_garden digest, Vol 1 #203 - 1 msg

We are just beginning to rent out spaces in our new community garden - the
first in Waco, TX.  Grants allowed us to revamp 2 city lots (1/3 acre) with
the following amenities: a six foot green chain link perimeter fence, 20 foot
of the street area is built up with hills and planted with permanent drought
resistant materials which in this part of the country includes crepe myrtles,
youpons, ornamental grasses and lantana. A metal sign informs traffic as to
what the project is. All irrigation is underground: sprinklers for the front
area and 16 sunken double nozzle hose bibs inside the garden area. 26 raised
beds have been built with limestone block, bed size is 4'x10', 4 of these are
higher for use by handicapped folks. Another 32 ground-level beds have been
bermed up and are approximately the same size but are shaped in a variety of
irregular designs.  There is a teaching area with a limestone podium and
benches for 50, a martin house, birdfeeders, a pond, a large community herb
hill, a toolshed and a small 8x12 greenhouse. We plan to install 2
vermicomposting winrows in the spring. An area has been set aside for
composting with all materials provided free of charge by our city's refuse
dept. (we must pick up). All ground that is not used has been covered with
thick layers of leaves with mulch over these. All tools, water and hoses will
be supplied. In addition, any community gardener will can check out our
rototiller and chipper/shredder for neighborhood use. A variety of classes
including composting will be offered at no charge to community gardeners. Our
fees will allow us to bring in experts, and will also allow us to provide
spaces and education programs for little or no charge for our neighborhood
Beds are being rented for $10 per month, a lease for at least 6 months must
be signed but payment can be monthly. Space can be shared. We are using
combination locks on the gates - all renters are given the code. Gardeners
are expected to volunteer at least one hour per month for general garden
chores. We have 2 co-chairs who will oversee the project during 2000. We are
finishing up the buildings and have a waiting list of 14 with several
prepaid.  There has been one nice article written for the local paper - we
expect spaces to be taken in Feb.-March.

There is still much to be done with organizing and developing regulations,
etc. But, we are pleased with the progress we have made since starting the
physical project in August. MANY hours went into developing this special
space which is quite lovely to look at.  We are very excited about the
potential for education and community connections that have been and will
continue to grow with the gardening project. This was a project done by our
neighborhood association (mostly the board members) and we were able to
access $21,000 in grants and gifts to put it together.  Most of the work has
been volunteer including a university workday with 34 sorority sisters (many
had never held a garden tool!), Habitat for Humanity volunteers who are
helping build the greenhouse and toolshed and a great group of neighbors.