City support for community gardens

Please reply to :  "Marie Corpe'-Gaeddert"<gpei@southwind.net>

Dear fellow gardeners,

I am writing to ask you for some information.  My name is Marie
Corpe'-Gaeddert and I am a VISTA volunteer at Great Plains Earth Institute
in Wichita, Ks.  For the last year, I have been coordinating our community
garden program.  Currently, there are thirteen community gardens in Wichita
and last year Great Plains helped with seven of those the thirteen gardens.

The reason I am writing you is to get some information.  On Monday, I have
a meeting with our Mayor and the City Manager.  They have been hearing a
lot of information about community gardening in our city and have asked us
to meet with them so they can learn more.  We would like to present to them
ways in which the City can support community gardening efforts in
Wichita.  Can you tell me things that your City is doing to help with your
community gardening efforts.  Do they supply mulch products, financial
support, water for the gardens or long term leases.  If so, how is that
organized?  What are the arrangements that you have with the City?  Any
information that you can give me will be very helpful!!  My goal is to
inform our Mayor about community gardening and to give him ideas of how our
City can help.  I would also like to l;et him know how other Cites are
assisting with community garden efforts.  Unfortunately, at this time, the
City of Wichita does not offer any support to our efforts.

Your information will be very helpful.  Thank you for your time!!

Marie :-)

PS  Can you please put your e-mail to my attention.