RE: Compost systems and kids involvement

Oliver:

Your roto-tillers were voted down by our steering committee ( democracy has
its' limits, unfortunately.) I too am a barrel fan, but I was out-voted.
C'est la vie.

Unfortunately, rabbits and guinea pigs running around in our garden would be
verboten under our lease with the NYC Parks dept. Can't keep cows, chickens
or pigs in the city limits either. Our mayor, Rudolph Giuliani ( known to
the cognocenti as Adolph Mussolini) has a real problem with ferrets as pets
and views community gardens as "the last vestige of communism."

We include kids in the http:/www.clintoncommunitygarden.org 's plans and
work with them on plantings ( we do kid's birthday parties, story telling,
plant workshops etc.) however, the big problem with using the garden as a
playground for running games is the liability issue.

In the USA, litigation is a bigger sport than basketball. While the au pair
is talking about the wonderful time she had at a club the previous night
with her girlfriends, the 4 year old she's ignoring might run and split his
face open on part of our rock garden.  Two boys playing touch football can
destroy the tulips or cause a dangerous swarm if the ball hits the bee hive.
Plus, we're on roughly a third of an acre and often have about 30 sunbathers
on our lawn during a sunny day as well as picnic parties ( not to mention
the dozens of garden volunteers who maintain our lawn and flower beds.) Our
small garden has more than 2000 key holders and services an area between
59th and 34th Streets, Eighth Ave to the Hudson River. And, we're entirely
run by volunteers who usually have days comprised of two jobs, families,
community work and think in terms of "New York Minutes."

We maintain an insurance policy, but one good lawsuit could clean us out.
Hence, more rules and a more structured atmosphere than you have in your
Berlin atmosphere. In NYC there is very little working class cohesion, the
general ethos is, "Hooray for me, screw you." We're really lucky that we've
made friends in the neighborhood, but with the violent anarchy of our
society, a fence is necessary for the survival of our garden.