RE: the latest from NYC

Allegra:

Urban community gardening in busy city with multiple land uses competing
against each other is 100% political and 50% gardening. Unless a garden is
used and supported by all the neighborhood residents, when development
pressures develop, the garden disappear. This garden was destroyed because
the housing planned for the site was sponsored in part by a local church and
was supported by both the Citycouncilperson for the district and was
approved by Manhattan Community Board 2's land use sub-committee. One of the
reason that I personally serve on the Land Use Subcommittee of Manhattan
Community Board 4 is to serve as a garden advocate. Unfortunately, alot of
community gardeners believe that gardening, making a place of beauty is
enough...as if the beauty of the place will preserve it in a bubble. NYC is
a tough place.

There were adjacent empty lots where the housing could have been built, but
the city decided to move on this plot because it was easy. It was this type
of land grab that destroyed 7 harlem gardens last summer.

The Trust for Public Land and Bette Middler's foundation helped save 108
community gardens from the block last spring. See
http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org for details on the citywide
celebration that we hosted. Unfortunately, these foundations had to buy from
the city land which rightly belonged to the people of the city for enjoyment
and relaxation.

The struggle to maintain the gardens is ongoing.

Ready to man the barricades?

Adam