RE: Community Garden

Kristina:

Although we have  roughly a third of an acre for our garden
http://clintoncommunitygarden.org the rear half of the garden is split up
into 108 tiny individual beds. Many of us grow perennial flowers, roses,
phlox etc. the vegetable gardeners like my wife and myself grow generally
aerated veggies in raised beds. The beds/plots are about the width and
length of a queen sized mattress. Generally we use what are known French
market garden bio-intensive gardening beds. Sounds fancy, but it really
isn't.

I dug down about 3 feet when I got my plot, sifted out the bricks, bullets (
five 45 caliber, ten 38 caliber) and other unmentionable garbage that
accumulates in an empty NYC lot over 50 years. We then built raised frames
about 2 feet high of untreated wood (unfortunately treated wood contains
traces of cyanide and other lovely chemicals) which we filled with 25%
peatmoss, and soil, sawdust, chicken manure and compost. Because of the lead
hazard in Manhattan above 14th street, we did not have our then young son
take part in the deep digging. We were sure to clean out boots, throw our
gardening clothes into the wash before we brought them into the house. Lead
is really harmful to kids under 6 years old ( PICA/learning disorders) and
we were careful. It took about 2 years before we filled the bed up to the
top of the boards. Generally we keep stirring  compost in and a can of live
worms and casings every year. The idea is to keep the soil in a raised bed
friable, so we have stepping stones in it so the soil doesn't get too
compacted. With fish emulsion used in a watering every  two weeks during the
growing season and winter wheat during ( you guessed it)during  the winter
we keep pretty fertile.

Tomatoes, peppers different lettuces, spinach, zuchini's, squash, radishes,
basils, herbs, garlic chives, string beans, pole beans, snap peas and the
like get planted on a rotated basis ( every other year.) I have an Irish
neighbor who does similarly ( my fancy named raised bed is also known as the
"Easy bed" to Irish John)  does everything I do as well as potatoes, he
figures lead isn't a danger in a raised bed & he grows more root vegetable
that we do.

My guess is if you do raised bed gardening, plant rotation is not as huge a
problem as ir your're depleting the soil of a multi-acre farm.

Ever best!

Adam

!