From: kristina & bruce <kjwbdw@gateway.net>
To: <Dboek@aol.com>; <Rshtn1fn@bellsouth.net>;
Cc: <drushton@bellsouth.net>
Sent: Friday, February 18, 2000 2:20 PM
Subject: Re: [cg] Community Garden

> Hi - Adam and Don have fine advice about rotation, but I've
often wondered
> how small plot community gardeners manage it.  My town's
community gardens
> have 20 X 20 ft plots for each individual and rotation is
simple.  How do
> you rotate, however, when people have much smaller plots,
where you your
> broccoli isn't very far from where you or a neighbor had
planted it the
> previous year?  It seems to me that when the individual plot
size becomes
> too small, gardens are better being more communal (never a
bad idea) and
> having everybody grow their brassicas, for example, in one
section of the
> garden, which can be rotated.  This is mostly a point of
curiousity, but I'm
> interested in the contrasts between community gardens of
individual plots
> and "communal gardens".  Bruce
especially wise to
> >rotate where you grow your brassicas (like collards,
cabbage, broccoli...).
> >Here, we can grow them in the early spring and the fall, but
not in the
> >summer (like Birmingham, I reckon?). This makes a rotation a
little more
> >complicated, but still easy to manage. I leave at least two
years before
> >replanting brassicas in a bed (some recommend 4 years, but
my space is
> >limited). Try the cooperative extension there for veggie
> >(they are usually listed under county government). I use a
very simple
> >'quadrant system' personally, which works well enough. Aside
> brassicas,
> >I generally don't repeat the same crop in the same place for
two years in a
> >row, and leave it at that. I'm not superpicky about some
things (lettuce
> and
> >flowers I stick in everywhere as intercrops, I'll grow
legumes (peas,
> >blackeyes, crowders, beans) right and left). But rotation is
a good
> practice,
> >not just because of plant diseases but because different
crops use
> different
> >nutrients and thus you don't deplete your soil. Last
thought, I include a
> >soil building crop in my rotation one year in 4 or so,
either a cool
> weather
> >type (annual rye, crimson clover (beautiful)) or warm
(buckwheat). This
> >builds soil health.
> >
> >I work with home composting and school gardens both. About
kids and
> manures,
> >just be prudent but not paranoid. Washing hands is very very
important, as
> >Adam says. If manure has been composted properly using a
'hot' system, it
> >should be reasonably safe. I don't think I'd let young kids
(less than 11
> or
> >12, say-that's arbitrary) work closely with raw manures,
especially moist
> >ones, or with dusty manures (frequently the case with
poultry manures)
> >regardless of age. Be cautious, though-an outbreak of
Legionnaire's disease
> >in Australia recently was traced to a batch of poorly
> _commercial_
> >compost, and many of those infected were gardeners. Know
your supplier (or

Rshtn1fn@bellsouth.net wrote:

> >>We have had a community garden for the past several years
in a public
> >>housing community in Birmingham, AL.   We have recently
read that rotating
> >>the planting of vegetables is very beneficial.  What are
your thoughts on
> >>this subject of rotating?  In particular, how many years
should you wait
> >>before it is necessary to change the location of planting
of the
> >>vegetables?
> >>
> >>What are your thoughts on the safety of kids handling
manure in working in