Re: (no subject)

Hello Barbara,
Contact the the American Horticultural Therapy Association to see how
you can work with the new programs.  It sounds like education of all
parties involved is the first step.  This is a perfect opportunity to
integrate community gardening, environmental education, nutrition
education, AND all of the wonderful benefits of horticultural
therapy.  Some design changes may need to be considered, such as hard
surfaces for wheelchairs, raised beds for access, with lots of
sitting and chair-transfer spaces.  Elizabeth Messer at West Virginia
University is the editor of the Journal of the AHTA, and could
probably provide contacts in your area.  Here is her contact info:
Elizabeth R. Messer, MLA, HTM
Landscape Architecture Program
Community Design Team
West Virginia University
P.O. Box 6108
Morgantown, WV  26506
Tel(304) 293-4832 x4486
Fax(304) 293-3752

Good luck, it sounds like a great opportunity!!