RE: need info. on other community gardens

David:

The Eagle Heights Community Gardens is the largest and longest running
community garden that I personally know of in the United States. Our NYC
community garden http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org is miniscule and a
mere infant in comparison.

To be frank, you guys have been extremely fortunate to have a great landlord
and so much space. I think that your governance problems are caused by the
750-1000 gardeners not realizing their amazing good fortune and feeling that
the garden is a given, like sunshine. Getting grant money for governance
from the University is not a good idea. The University might say, screw it
and build a gymnasium on the garden land.  If the membership cares enough to
have a community garden, then they have to make the sacrifice of time, or
money to run it properly. I don't know if you charge fees for your 600 foot
plots ( in NYC most people live in apartments of 600sq feet or less) but
there should be a work or money requirement for these plots. From these
fees, you could hire your own special projects coordinator for your
children's project.

I belong to a steering committee for the CCG of 10-15 members ( we usually
lose steering committee members by attrition)  that meets officially on a
monthly basis throughout the year. We have a rotating chair, a record keeper
and a treasurer because we do not have a president ( we avoid a cult of
personality, assassination by garden shears, etc. that way). We have
subcommittees of steering committee members and gardeners who handle
specific projects ( the building of a new shed, bee hive, special events,
children's story telling - gardening).

Bottom line: Your community gardeners need to invest more energy into your
garden's community. Otherwise it just becomes a commons that University
folks tend without a real sense of responsibility for others.

Good luck. Tell me what happens,

Adam Honigman
Bowne Publishing Division
345 Hudson Street