Two Jobs in Seattle WA
Title: Two Jobs in Seattle WA
Aplogies for cross posting:
Urban Agriculture Project Manager!
Are you interested in:
Growing and marketing organic plant starts?
Supervising and managing a small business?
Teaching people with developmental disabilities wood working and nursery skills?
Being a community developer and networking with other organic horticulturist?
Fundraising, grant writing and grant management?
Being part of a new urban agriculture coalition?
You Should Have:
Experience working with people who have developmental disabilities
Experience with organic agriculture and nursery work
Ability to use woodworking tools
Excellent writing and public relations skills
High interest or experience in marketing
If you are excited about the possibility of managing a unique urban agriculture program that provides jobs for people who have developmental disabilities while promoting organic urban agriculture and worm bin construction, please contact us:
We offer you ....
Great team, supportive environment, excellent benefits. Train people in work and activity programs. DD/Human service experience helpful but will train. Med/dental, sick/vacation/holiday pay, retirement plan, training/educational plan, salary DOE
Resume to NWC,
Att: Christopher Wells
1600 W. Armory Way, Seattle, WA
Seattle Youth Garden Works
Project Manager 2001
Work with Program Director to maintain an effective empowerment, employment and educational opportunity for young people 15-22 years old. Primary task is supervising the youth garden crew in the garden, greenhouse, farmers market and field trips. Position is also responsible for maximizing the garden(s) health, productivity, and beauty. All work must be carried out through sustainable gardening methods (organic/bio-intensive/bio-dynamic). The responsibility lies with the Project Manager for documentation of all work and responsibility for developing and working within a project budget. The youth business ventures associated with your site are also your responsibility. The Project Manager is responsible for supervising and evaluating two AmeriCorps members. Also overseeing recruitment, retention and program completion of participants, all official paper work with regard to youth files, youth payroll, and working agreements with partner agencies. Work with education coordinator to assure maximum educational opportunities are received by program participants.
Project Manager reports to the Program Director.
The position is exempt. The position is currently full-time April-October and half-time Nov - March.
1) Youth Crew supervisor 10-27 hours/week (season and site dependant). Garden and market work days are Tuesday through Friday and Saturday (part of the year). Supervise crew in the garden, serve as a role model, establish rapport with crew members, build team, help youth to reach employability goals like attendance and punctuality, complete weekly progress reports, evaluate youth for advancement and job placement, attend one or two meetings each week.
2) Work with garden volunteers. Direct them to assist the youth in learning and modeling positive work behaviors. Also direct them to help accomplish garden and market tasks.
3) Market Garden health and productivity
Soil and plant nutrition and composting, manage pest and diseases, analyze and revise plans and methods as needed to maximize garden health and productivity.
Crops, crop rotation, and succession plantings for all SYGW garden plots , seed ordering/solicitation, plan for wreath business needs for everlasting flowers, plan harvests in accordance with Farmers Market and other business ventures as called for.
Plan, build, and maintain garden structures as needed
Fence, trellis, shed, cold frame, irrigation system, greenhouse...
Approve the purchase for supplies and materials.
Devise weekly work schedule and task list.
Keep records of garden work, plans, yields, hours, etc.
4) Supervise AmeriCorps members. They will have their own areas of responsibility but you are responsible for the overall project including the work they are assigned. You will evaluate their performance and success on the job and provide feed back on strategies for improvement. You will assit them in completing their paper work and filing reports to the AmeriCorps Agency. It is your responsibility to coordinate the site staff vacation and coverage issues.
1. Experience and success working with street and "at-risk" youth 14-22 years old.
2. Previous supervisory experience
3. Market garden and greenhouse management experience.
4. Community outreach experience and leadership skills.
5. Ability to coordinate and work as a team with others.
6. Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
8. Organizational ability; develop and keep records, notes, files.
9. Follow through on tasks, ideas and contacts.
10. Attention to detail.
11. Calm, professional and positive attitude.
12. Computer; familiarity with Microsoft Word and Excel.
13. Commitment to the mission of SYGW.
Spanish language skills
CSA management experience
Annual full time base salary range of $28,600 to $31,200 plus full medical and dental benefits. Exempt position. Annual vacation (21 days) and sick leave as per CCGS personnel policies. Annual COLA and experience increases. Pension of 5% after 3 years.