edible landscaping

Dear Dr. Goldsberry,
I hope I'm not too late with this reply but, as Sally McCabe mentioned,
there was  a regional conference last week and I am just now catching up
with my email.

I have found a good edible landscaping website database, with photos, at
<http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/edible.html> and the author has also created an
even better, downloadable database with excellent photos. The only thing is,
it is just for Macintosh users. It that's of use to you, it is  available
for download at <http://www.efn.org/~bsharvy/crunchy.html>

Regards,
Laura Berman

Here's the author's  own description of the program:

Edible Landscaping is an encyclopedia of perennials that are worth growing
primarily for produce. Every such plant that can be grown in at least three
USDA hardiness zones (i.e., can withstand 15 F or below) is covered in the
database. It includes fruits, nuts, herbs, and even a few perennial
vegetables. Uncommon edibles such as the jujube and chayote are included, as
well as popular favorites like strawberries and walnuts. The majority of
plants have color photos attached, often illustrating different aspects
(e.g., in a landscape, and a closeup).

Edible Landscaping can be used in conjunction with a large archive of color
pictures.  It expects the photos to be in a folder named "EL Pictures"; it
can also be mixed with the photos in one folder. If you have difficulties
viewing the photos, try increasing the RAM (memory) available to the
program. 2500K should be plenty and 2000K will probably work too. You
allocate memory with the "Get Info..." command in the Finder.

Edible Landscaping was made with Hypercard, as a standalone application. It
does not require Hypercard, or Hypercard Player, as a separate application.
It will work on any Macintosh. It does require 2.5 MB of available RAM and 7
MB of diskspace.

Displaying the pictures may require Quicktime 2.5--I'm not sure (Hypercard's
built in commands take care of showing the pictures--it's not something I
programmed). Edible Landscaping was tested under MacOS 7.6.1 with Quicktime
3.0, and 8.1 & 9.0 with QT 4.1.

Detailed instructions are available from within the Edible Landscaping
software.

Edible Landscaping costs $15.

Bon Apetit.

=====================================