From: community_garden-admin@mallorn.com
[mailto:community_garden-admin@mallorn.com]On Behalf Of Honigman, Adam
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2001 8:53 AM
To: 'Kelmckee@aol.com'; community_garden@mallorn.com
Subject: RE: [cg] Community Gardening Grants

Kelly,

1) What you seem to be talking about is a school garden, which is a little
different than a community garden. This is the Mallorn company school garden
page and archive portal:

2) On fundraising: There are foundations out there that may give school
gardening grants, but grants like these can be hard to get. Often, there are
community resources that can be tapped.

a) Is there a Japanese/sushi restaurant or somebody who sells Japanese made
cars near the school that you can go to with your school garden plan and ask
for donations ( tax deductable of course, yes you'll put up a thank you
plaque with the name of the business on it visible from the street, yes
you'll have pictures suitable for framing and hanging on the wall of the
establishment, yes you'll put a free ad in the PTA paper about lets say  Mr.
Tanaka's "Sushi Express", Sam Yamagata's "Toyota" or Dr. Susan Hashimoto's
cardiology practice ( i just made these names and businesses up, ....Get the
idea?) It wouldn't be a bad idea if a parent who just bought a Toyota, does
sushi at the office, refers patients to the Dr. presents your idea.

b) In the Chicago area, there have to be some folks into Japanese culture, a
Japanese trade mission or consulate, I think that the Chicago Botanical
Garden has a Japanese garden...I'd ask around for advice, let the kids do
some research, do some networking, see how this kind of garden fits into
Japanese culture and vice versa.

c) Put an ad in a local paper talking about what you're doing.

d) Go to a local garden center, tell them what you're interested in doing,
tell them that gardening may become part of the curriculum , are they
interested in helping to foster this endeavor?

e) have kids wash cars, do good stuff to raise money for the project.

Good luck Kelly! Please let us know how things work out for you and your
kids,

Adam Honigman