Starting a new neighborhood garden

  • Subject: [cg] Starting a new neighborhood garden
  • From: "Teresa Kohut" <treebone7@hotmail.com>
  • Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 17:34:33 -0600

I am helping a friend with the first community garden/ neighborhood garden
in our city and have some obstacles to overcome and was wondering if anyone
has some insight.
The land is being donated from the gas company, and it has been compacted
due to truck traffic. Is there any reccomendations to breaking the soil, or
getting topsoil donated?

Also, the issue of a water supply is a question. Getting a meter hook up
would be expensive. Are there any grants out there available to help with
this? Any other ideas?

Help from the city would be greatly appreciated, has anyone had experience
with this before? I would also be willing to write for any grants as well.

Any input would be greatly appreciated.