The Visitor from Seinfeld Land

  • Subject: [cg] The Visitor from Seinfeld Land
  • From: "Jim Call" jimcall@casagarden.com
  • Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2003 19:46:54 -0600

A few years ago, we had a volunteer in our community garden who happened to be visiting our fair city. Although, I do not remember his name (I work with about 1,000 volunteers a year), he was a memorable character.  He hailed from NYC.  Being a visitor to the south, he was very interested in our community garden and its efforts to serve our city.  Because he was a visitor from
Seinfeld Land, I was very interested in his world.
He didn't own a car and relied on the public transit system to travel.  He knew virtually nothing about gardening.  I found he was very politically informed (his favorite TV station was C-SPAN.) and like alot of NYCers (I understand) was very opinionated (as am I).
I was standing in front of him talking about our garden operation, when he interrupts and says "What's that?".  He was staring directing at me, but all I was holding was a post hole digger, so I turned around and to see nothing of interest.
I said "What are you talking about?".
He said "what are you holding?".
"This? This a post hole digger?" I replied.
"What do you do with it?" he said.
"You dig post holes" I said.  I further explained to him that we use it to dig planting holes instead of using hand trowels (we don't mess around when it comes to planting transplants).
"Will you show me how to use it?" he asked.
And so I proceeded to show him how to use the tool. One of the funniest things I ever witnessed was how slow and how precise he was in using such a rough action tool.
The gentlemen came back to our garden a week later and I really enjoyed his company.  I admired his desire to help others in a community he was visiting.
Sometimes, I wish this "Community Gardening" listserv would focus directly (or at least indirectly) on this subject.  In these times of uncertainty when war seems inevitable and our nation's economy sputtering, I look to this listserv for its positive views from those engaged in CGing.  I believe we need to tone down our political oriented messages.  I agree with the gentlemen who sent an earlier message, this is not the forum to express political viewpoints.
Kindest regards to all,
Jim Call
CASA Community Garden Volunteer Director
Huntsville, Alabama