Re: garden origins and waiting list

  • Subject: Re: [cg] garden origins and waiting list
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 22:29:21 EST

In a message dated 2/17/03 9:34:15 PM Eastern Standard Time,

<<  [cg] garden origins and waiting list
 Date:  2/17/03 9:34:15 PM Eastern Standard Time
 From:  jennifer.lynn@verizon.net (JENNIFER LYNN)
 Sender:    community_garden-admin@mallorn.com
 To:    community_garden@mallorn.com

 Hello,

 I am cinducting research on community gardens hoping to make them an
integral part of urban planning across the nation.  Right now I am just
trying to learn more about the existing gardens.  Could anyone help me find a
source for statistical answers to questions like:

 1. How many community gardens are there in the U.S.?

 2. What percentage were started by government programs verses community
members and organizations?

 3. What percentage of community gardens have waiting lists for plots?  What
is the average size of waiting lists?

 4. Has government support and funding for community gardens increased or
decreased in the past 10 years?

 Again, I appreciate any help.  I hope this research benefits all of us and
our lovely planet.

 Blessings,

 Jennifer

An excellent source for the answers to your questions is the American
Community Garden web site - <A HREF="http://www.communitygarden.org/";>
American Community Gardening Association</A>  .  A pretty comprehensive
resource, compiled by hundreds of volunteers, I would suggest that your read
and print the sections of the ACGA website that  you find most useful.  The
ACGA links page has the websites of many gardens with waiting lists. Among
them is the Garden where I volunteer, the Clinton Community Garden in NYC .
You will find our front and rear garden rules as well as our waiting list
policy on our website.

Also, key understanding  our shared community garden culture, are the words
"please", and "thank you." As community gardening is a volunteer project,
like this listserve, we use the words "please" when we ask for somthing, and
"thank you", often in advance, for the help of others.

Blessings,

Adam Honigman