Re: CG insurance question

  • Subject: Re: [cg] CG insurance question
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 08:35:05 EST

Ms. Lynn,

In General: While you will find insurance information on the ACGA website,
there are state by state variations on the availability of insurance for
volunteer organizations maintaining public spaces ( i.e., community garden).
In the United States of America, insurance is usually regulated on a
state-by-state basis, so vastly different rates and coverage are buried in
the small type.  Generally, you can inquire about possible open space
insurance policies underwritten by the 10 largest US insurance companies
through a multi-company representative like Progressive.

In Specific:  The Clinton Community Garden is required through the lease
agreement we have with  our landlord, the Parks Dept of the City of New York,
to pay for general liablity insurance for our third of an acre site.  It is a
key section of our lease.

The City of New York gets sued up the wazoo for injuries incurred on public
property and is rightly concerned about any possible insurance exposure.  NYC
Community Gardens get their insurance through the Neighhborhood Open Space
Coalition for about $200 bucks per garden. This seems to be a special deal
for NY State community gardens, but I will inquire of the NOSC's insurance
agent if this  carrier insures out-of-state gardens.

Key to getting our insurance was the list of safety rules in our garden's
rules,   <A HREF="http://www.clintoncommunitygarden.org/";>Clinton Community
Garden</A> which may seem rather extensive to some, but are necessary in a
heavily used volunteer community garden( 4,000 keyholders in a NYC community
board area that has 90,000 residents - peak weekend summer use between 750
-1000 visits).

The Clinton Community Garden has posted our ten major safety rules in
English, Spanish and Arabic throughout our garden and have translated our
keyholder agreements into all of these languages as well ( English was
hardest - eveyone thinks they are a lawyer!)  In a city where the third clean
word that most children learn is "Sue!" we have tried to do all the due
dilligence that we could do.

Incidentally, before you start your community garden, I would seriously
suggest you to a complete soil test.  There are several discussions on how to
do this in the archives of this listserve at Mallorn.com.

1) From a basic gardening standpoint, it is very important to have a snapshot
of what nutrients are in your soil and how you can balance them to optimize
your yields.

2) From a liability and safety standpoint, it is very important to know what
chemicals and heavy metals may be sitting there in the land you intend to
garden.  Your local agricultural agent can direct you to good regional
testing labs.  However, sometimes some labs are cheaper and better than
other.  I like the soil testing lab at University of Massachussets,  Amherst
for both price and accuracy ( you can find them on the web.)  Depending on
your relationship with your local agricultural extension and /or government,
you may be able to get this done both accurately and affordably on a local
basis.

Good luck,

Adam Honigman
Volunteer, Clinton Community Garden