Re: CG insurance question

  • Subject: Re: [cg] CG insurance question
  • From: "Deborah Mills" deborah@greencure.org
  • Date: Mon, 17 Feb 2003 21:30:19 -0800

For our non-profit, Green Cure, Inc. we have a general liability insurance policy. This sets us back about $1,000. per year. We also have volunteer insurance for work days and admin. stuff. For work days, the cost is .23 cents per person and admin. is .09 cents per person. Doesn't sound like much but it does add up (probably about $100. per quarter).
As to gardens that are managed by local governments,  usually they handle the insurance end of it through their general policy. The key word here is "manage" which would imply staff time.
I have been knocking my head around to get governmental support for our programs for a very long time. In my other life (owner of a video production company) we tape various "city" meetings. For one, we have been covering our local Comprehensive Plan update meetings (CPAC) for the last year. I do admit that I have stepped out from behind the audio board more than once when it came time for public comments. With all my pushing, we now have a sentence or two regarding community gardens. But I can always see many of the citizen panel participants and city staff  roll their eyes when my name is called out as the "next" speaker.
Hope this helps,