Re: Community Gardens Policy (City of Milwaukee (WI) Community Garden Model Policy Consideration)

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Community Gardens Policy (City of Milwaukee (WI) Community Garden Model Policy Consideration)
  • From: Lenny Librizzi plantlot@rcn.com
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 10:08:24 -0500

Diana,
Hopefully you have looked over the National Community Garden Survey 1996, ACGA Monograph by Suzanne  Monroe-
Santos which should answer some of your questions. Note that the survey is from 1996, the latest available. Perhaps a
good masters or doctoral project would be to update this survey.
http://www.communitygarden.org/pubs/index.html#Mono

Also, in 1999, I compiled whatever policies were in place at that time. There have been other policies developed since.
They are not included here:
Comprehensive Plans, Zoning Regulations, Open Space Policies and Goals Concerning Community Gardens and Open
Green Space from the Cities of Seattle, Berkeley, Boston, and Chicago- Information compiled by ACGA Member Lenny
Librizzi for the GreenThumb Grow Together Workshop "Lessons From Community Gardening Programs In Other Cities"
given March 20, 1999.
http://www.communitygarden.org/links/cg_policies.pdf

New York's current policy is through the legal settlement reached between the city and the NYS Attorney General.
Here is a copy of the agreement from the AG's website:
http://www.oag.state.ny.us/environment/community_gardens_sum.html

There is still  pending legislation in the NYC City Council that would create a policy to move forward, protecting existing
community gardens and setting up a procedure for new gardens.
http://www.council.nyc.ny.us/pdf_files/bills/int0206-2002.htm

Good luck on your research. Please post your results to this list.
Thanks.
Lenny Librizzi