Home formula for treating wood.

  • Subject: [cg] Home formula for treating wood.
  • From: JSBMH2@aol.com
  • Date: Tue, 18 Feb 2003 15:38:38 EST

I found this formula on another forum.  What do you think?
Peace,
John

Awhile back someone on this server said that rather than use cca
> treated lumber, they would treat their wood with a "home brew."  i
> have looked and looked for an idea of what i can use at home but with
> no luck. any suggestions? thanks.

Hello,

It was I who posted that awhile back. The below formula is taken from my
bible on organic gardening which is the best book on the subject that I
have ever read:

Growing Fruits & Vegetables Organically
Published by Rodale Press, ISBN 0-87596-586-5

Sadly, it is out of print but used copies are available on the internet
at Amazon.com and you won't be disappointed if you buy a copy.

See page 133.

This was developed by the USDA Forest Products Laboratory:

1 ounce of paraffin wax
1 gallon less 1 2/3 cups of turpentine
1 1/2 cups of boiled linseed oil
(this is refined linseed oil as compared to raw linseed oil)

Melt wax in double boiler.

Put the turpentine in separate container.
Save excess for other uses.
Stir it vigorously while slowing adding melted wax.
Then add linseed oil and mix throughly.

Dip untreated wood in mixture for 3 minutes
(you'll have to increase above formula for that and build a trough)
or brush on heavy coat.