Re: Articles of Incorporation

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Articles of Incorporation
  • From: Adam36055@aol.com
  • Date: Mon, 24 Feb 2003 23:11:19 EST

Carol,

Please feel free to use our corporate bylaws as a template for a local
Washington state pro-bono atty to use in fashioning your Washington State
appropriate language.
 .

Also, it might be helpful for you to reach out to your local Trust for Public
Land branch for Washington State appropriate language for non-for-profit
groups managing public land:
Just paste this link in your browser to follow up on TPL:
http://www.tpl.org/

Re: Anybody out there have experience in cross-cultural training as part of a
gardening community?

Community gardens have attracted their share of anthropologists, sociologists
and other academic quantifiers of people  - we're fairly easy to study.  But
as an active community garden volunteer the game is different.
The issue seems to be basic fairness - devising by consensus the same rules
for everyone and maintaining a commitment to listen, learn and play fair.
People bring different things to the table - the key is to be aware of and
respect different cultures while understanding that all individuals are
different.  This is really basic survival  training in my polyglot world, as
they are in in any large, diverse city that doesn't want to burn down every
summer over bonehead mis-understandings.
In NYC, we have so many cultures and languages, that there is a baseline of
mutual respect (or cynics would say indifference) that makes it work for us.
And depending on where there is a war or famine in the world, we get new
folks in NYC , and new folks in our neighborhood signing up for garden keys.
Currently, our garden rules are in English, Spanish and Arabic.  Ten years
ago, we had rules in Russian & Serbo Croatian.  A friend who is a member of a
community garden near Chinatown in lower Manhattan found that when garden
rules and signage were posted in Chinese, that active Chinese participation
increased - as in, "You have signage in my language , you expect people from
my country here.

Hope that helped,
Adam Honigman

Our native American community are usually Mohawks who live near the Canadian
border ,Aztec/Mexicans , or African Americans who self identify as being part
Cherokee or Creek. As all read or communicate in either English of Spanish
and are tremdous gardeners, there is a baseline for communication.