Re: Compost Bins

  • Subject: Re: [cg] Compost Bins
  • From: "Deborah Mills" <deborah@greencure.org>
  • Date: Fri, 6 Feb 2004 12:15:09 -0800

Hello Everyone,

At Jordan Community Garden we have 18 ten by ten plots and we have 6 (4ft by
4ft) bins which seem to do the trick. Keep in mind we are in California so
we garden all year, meaning, we always have green waste on hand.
The "group" composting works for us for several reasons. The garden itself
isn't that large so people don't have to travel too far to dispose of their
material. Also, we have a Compost Ambassador that oversees the bins.

We have "work days" in the garden (2 hours required each month) where we
tend to the compost bins. When it is time to harvest, everyone there gets
some, which of course, makes for a higher turnout on workdays. People can
harvest on an as-need-basis but it is much more fun to do it together.

In our bins we have removable signs that get rotated through-out letting
gardeners know what bin we are suppose to add to and which ones we are not.

Hope this helps,
Deborah Mills