(no subject)

Our Community Garden is owned by our Neighborhood Association (non-profit
organization) and run by a committee of Gardeners who report on a bimonthly
basis back to the Neighborhood Association Board.  I am currently the president
and we have had a bad year due to 6 of the 8 Board members being new to the
Board and the Garden committee members being almost all new as well.

The past Garden committee was run almost entirely by 1 person with the help of a
few others on occasion.

With the departure of this person...we were left with a dilemma of none of the
Board members being Gardeners and none wanting to take on the responsibility of
running the garden.

Long story short...I sent out a letter indicating that if the gardeners didn't
step up to the plate and take control of running the garden..we wouldn't be able
to have a garden for this last year.  This didn't sit well as you might imagine.

Ever since, we have had problems with the running of the garden due to many
faults on many parts and this has led to a few of the gardeners wanting to
incorporate themselves  as a non-profit organization and lease the garden from
the neighborhood association.

I don't know how much assistance you will be able to give, but....

Question 1:    Is that legally possible for a non-profit to lease from another
non-profit?  This is in the state of Michigan.

Questions 2:   I want to make a concerted effort at trying to make this next
growing season work.  Our Board is going to make an effort at focusing in on the
efforts of the gardeners (grant money, administrating, meetings, etc.).  Can you
give me any tips as to going about this?  Books, reference materials, etc.  I
see this as resembling a brand new endeavor (since I don't believe many people
have experience in doing this type of thing).  How do I get started?

Your feedback would be much appreciated.

Signed,
Beginner Garden Administrator
Kathy Lovig