RE: (no subject)

I serve on the 13 person steering committee of  the  Clinton Community
Garden in NYC ( clintoncommunitygarden.org). We are organized as a
501(c)(3), i.e.  not-for-profit corporation and lease our garden space from
the NYC department of parks. Our board members are elected for 2 and one
year terms on a staggered basis ( odd & even years) so we have a degree of
continuity. We have no president but we do have a treasurer and a record
keeper/archivist         ( we're 20 years old.)

We govern the garden by subcommittees which we create as needed: public
space volunteer committee, compost committee, beehive committee, back (
individual plot) garden committee, special events, fundraising, neighborhood
outreach...you've got the idea.

All steering committee members are active gardeners and are extremely busy
people ( our lives are filled with New York minutes) who balance jobs (
sometimes 2-3 jobs) family, community service, etc.. We are often what are
perjoritively known as "neighborhood activists."

Answer 1: Yes, your non-profit can lease from another non-profit in all the
50 states.

Answer 2.: Get your gardeners into a space, maybe a church to ensure good
behavior for your first annual gardeners general meeting. Create an agenda
to follow with a 2 minute rule for all speakers. Get a moderator - maybe the
clergyman- someone impartial for sure. Have all the Board Members there.
Distribute flyers to all gardeners before hand listing a suggested agenda
for the meeting, asking for additional topics if needed. Set a time frame
for the meeting - ie no more than 2-3 hours.

Proposed Agenda:

State of the Garden Report:

1) We lost the old President ( Mom/Dad is dead...we kids have to be
grown-ups now) who did everything for us and gee this is hard running this
big 'ol garden and all.

2) Here's how we did last year, and boy it was a mess, but here is the
status of  our lease with the neighborhood association, our bank account,
our compost heap, garden hoses...etc

3) Here is the situation of the garden as it stands today, February___,

Open forum Discussion [ Have a sign in sheet for non-Board members which is
shown to all gardeners as they enter the door]. All Board Members get 5
minutes to state their cases. One initial statement per Board member. Then (
Timed 2 Minutes) all gardeners get one statement.

4) Record keeper writes all suggestions down. Moderator uses whip, gun and
chair to control the wild animals in the room.

Moderator asks:

OK, do you want a garden?

How do you want the garden organized?

How will the work of the garden be best done, because the garden has
non-gardening work to be done.

How many times a year does the membership meet ( suggestion: the Clinton
Community Garden membership meets annually, the steering committee monthly,
all members are welcome to attend and present though not vote at the monthly
steering committee meetings) what is the garden's form of governance? Should
we organize as a not-for-profit-corporation?[Good idea, you can give letters
for contributions, limit your liablility if an accident happens.]

[We like the presidentless form. We use a rotating chair system for our
meetings. Whatever works for you.]

OK, ( if you get this far) we are going to create some working bylaws. This
is what we're going to say to the Neighborhood Association Board.

Here's the tricky part:

OK Mrs Jones, you're committed to do which job?

Kathy, good luck. Check out the the American Community Gardening
Association's website (www.communitygarden.org) and the Trust for Public
Land website ( www.igc.apc.org/tpl/). Both of these groups should have
information on community gardens in your area with some pointers on how to
get started on governance.

All the best,