RE: Greetings and Urban Agriculture

Liz:

1)Mark me up third for the police statistics. Like all urban community
gardeners, I much anecdotal/empirical data on crime reduction & community
gardens but the powers that be like stats.Go for it.

 N.B. When looking at NYC stats please note that the arrests listed for NYC
community gardens are usually gardeners protesting the bulldozing of their
community gardens. These will generally be resisting arrest, disorderly
conduct citations.

2) Read back through the archives of this listserver for the last few years.
You'll find a wealth of information on how gardeners think, their concerns,
common issues, and some bad jokes.

3) I seem to remember that  Gwenne Hayes-Stewart of the St. Louis Gateway
Parks organization had either sponsored or was working with people at a
local University  on a quantitative community gardening project. I don't
know how it's coming along, but it might be worth your while to send her an
e-mail at gwenne.hayes-stewart@mobot.org .

4) You really should talk to the nice people at the Trust for Public Land
who do not-for-profit urban greening for a living. In NYC I'd contact:

Andy Stone
Trust for Public Land
Mid-Atlantic Regional Office
666 Broadway
New York, NY 10012
(212) 677-7171
FAX (212) 353-2052
E-mail: andy.stone@tpl.org

Here's a TPL Link for you: http://www.tpl.org/index.cfm . This link will
hook you up with the Washington DC office of TPL.

5) Community gardening is 50% gardening and 100% political and I believe
that community gardens are created by and foster political activity by
gardeners. The very act of community gardening is empowering - one takes
fallow, garbage strewn lots and converts them into viable, neighborhood run
open space. Legitmizing this process and making community gardens another
recognized land use among other recognized land uses is the challenge facing
community gardeners in cities throughout the United States.  Here in NYC,
we're trying to get a community gardening bill through the City Council.
This is rather frustrating, because community gardens, allotment gardens and
the like have been recognized land uses in Canada and Europe for decades.

Good luck, let us know how you're doing,
Adam Honigman