FW: City organic gardening

-----Original Message-----
From: Sally McCabe [mailto:sallymcc@libertynet.org]
Sent: Wednesday, January 03, 2001 7:41 PM
To: smccabe@pennhort.org
Subject: FW: City organic gardening

 pass this along.   Happy Holidays!   :)  Tessa

>>>Havana's Homegrown Revolution
Half of Cuba's vegetables come from urban organic gardens
 By Jade Saunders, The New Internationalist
When Cuban teacher Maria  Felix Bonome started cultivating the front yard
of  her home in the Havana suburb of Cojimar, it was  quite a revolutionary
thing to do. Before 1989, half of Cuba's caloric intake was  imported from
the Eastern  bloc, and the rest of its food  came from the countryside.  No
one planted fruits or vegetables in the city.
  But then the Soviet Union collapsed, and dire food  shortages hit its
Caribbean trading partner. While  some Cubans panicked, Bonome created a
cooperative urban garden, an organip█nico.
Soon, the citizens of Havana began cultivating any available plot of
land--including rooftops and  balconies. City authorities opened an urban
agriculture department to support the growers by  providing them with
seeds, technical advice, and free land titles for cultivation only. They
instituted a seed house network and outlawed chemical fertilizers and
Today, around 30,000 inhabitants of Havana are  directly involved in
organic urban gardening, and
>the results have been spectacular. Half of the island's vegetables are now
>grown in the cities; Havana provides 30 percent of its own. Many Cubans
>also enjoy health benefits from eating more fresh foods. Bonome is
>justifiably proud of the success of her organip█nico. "We organized a
>brigade of family and  friends and created it for ourselves,"she says. "We
>needed only our hands. And we have a wonderful relationship with the
>people around us; we all work together to make our city a good place. We
>provide good cheap food for people, and free food and care
>to those who need it."
The urban garden also provides on-site work  programs for students from a
local youth
>correctional facility, sending them home every day with free food. "We
>give them an area in which to work,"says Bonome, "and after showing them
>how to prepare the soil, to sow, to weed, to harvest, we leave them to do
>the work without overseeing them, although, of  course, they can always
>come to us for advice or guidance. We never have problems with these kids.

 It's wonderful to see their excitement when the>plants  begin to grow and
they see the results of their
>labor pop through the ground."
-- Jade Saunders
From The New Internationalist (June 1999).
 $35.98/yr. (11 issues) from Box 1143, Lewiston, NY 14092.