Re: Can You Grow Corn in Small Spaces?

Adam,

The best way to do it would be to devote an entire plot(-s) to the
corn and plant the corn =/-1' apart each way so that you have a whole
block of it. This is what it needs for proper pollination.

Our plots at Southwark/Queen Village Garden are lots larger than
yours (20-30 sq ft.), but gardeners do grow fairly successful corn by
planting it in blocks. I've done it in under 6 sq ft. I've also
planted it in a spiral, which is fairly cool, and the pollination was
much the same as planting it in a block.

The first year I ever grew it (especially for one of the kids), I
planted it in about 3x6' 3 rows of corn, 6 ft long, and that worked
too.

You can plant it as a 2d or 3d crop following lettuce or peas or fava
beans. The latter two will add extra N which it loves a lot. If you
plant it as a later crop, be sure that you use a variety that will
ripen before your first frost date. (I've planted 60-day corn in
August and actually had a harvest, not to mention stalks for holiday
decor.)

Good luck,

Libby