Re: Can You Grow Corn in Small Spaces?

Hi, all,

I've also succeeded with roughly 1mx3m (~3'x6') beds of sweet corn, without
hand pollinating (tho that can be fun and a good lesson). I plant corn, like
most veggies, using John Jeavon's hexagonal spacing, so you pack in as many
plants as possible. I put plants on 30cm (12") centers. I do something else
(that's not necessary, since you can direct seed corn just fine (it is often
grown in 'mounds' of several plants together in traditional systems - look
ma, no thinning!)) - I start corn in peat pots and plant out the whole pot
when the batch is a foot tall or a bit less. That way I get a very uniform
stand, and I get started earlier. Be careful to pick a good variety for your
area, I'd suggest a short stalked sweet variety (ask a local gardener or, if
you have a good non-nozzlehead agent, coop extension). Tall corn can blow
down pretty easily in a small patch. Corn is a big feeder and drinker, so
plant in fertile beds, water regularly, even consider supplementing with some
manure or other nutrient (esp. nitrogen) source. Finally, be careful about
critters. Around here, it is squirrels and raccoons, who raid the night
before you plan to harvest. Bummer! Libby's advice on planting is very good,
I also companion plant my corn, especially when I plant a large plot by
direct seeding. Half-runner beans are great companions.

Dreaming about corn and reading seed catalogs. Must be January...

Don
Charlotte, NC