RE: Volunteer Resources

No need to re-invent the wheel here. As an amateur community gardenener,
political activist type, I've found that a good cause, interesting company
and    friendly leaders with commonsense and realistic expectations helps
alot. Frequent thank yous, conflict resolution skills, a good source for
pizza and beer for frequent celebrations always helps. Any sense of a Roman
galley with a fat guy beating on drums should be avoided. Schedule and
allocate your volunteer's work hours sensibly. There should always be work
to do, but nobody except the coordinator should ever feel overworked or
swamped. The exercise should be "fun" for the volunteer participants.

From the web:
1) Links on volunteering and volunteer management  from the Service Leader
organization. This web site was  produced by the staff at the Charles A.
Dana Center, at the University of Texas Austin:

2) Trinkets: http://www.thankscompany.com/

3) A Professional Volunteer Management  site: http://www.cybervpm.com/

4) Washington State University  actually gives a certificate in volunteer

5) Did you know that there is a professional organization for volunteer
resources management professionals? It's called the Association for
Volunteer Administration.

6) A volunteer management software program:

Good luck, let us know how this works out for you,

Adam Honigman