Re: How Did Your Garden Grow in 2001?

  • Subject: Re: [cg] How Did Your Garden Grow in 2001?
  • From: Dboek@aol.com
  • Date: Sun, 6 Jan 2002 21:13:53 EST

Hi, all,

I got to get my lesson plans together (polyhedra for 8 year olds - got any
good ideas???), but just a minute to say that at our school garden, we had
excellent luck with Tithonia (Mexican sunflower) and regular sunflowers as a
fall (plant the last week of school when the kids go home)
beautification/catch attention crop. My big tomato surprise last year (good
one!) was Juliette, a sort-of Roma type that just kept producing and
producing. Also, as usual, Brandywine tasted best and Celebrity was overall
best. Lemon cukes, the old fashioned ones, did better than anything else.
Otherwise, no standouts, I'm afraid. I used cow peas (aka blackeyed peas) as
a cover crop in my mini-orchard, they did a very nice job of outcompeting the
weeds.

Don Boekelheide
Charlotte NC