Re: successful models or ideas

  • Subject: Re: [cg] successful models or ideas
  • From: Tamsin Salehian tamsin@sparecreative.com
  • Date: Fri, 10 Jan 2003 20:40:25 +1100

Title: Re: [cg] successful models or ideas
Hi Jennifer,

Open garden models are beautiful but we haven’t mastered the skills yet (although it sounds like many of the NY gardens have). Our garden is open to all whenever a plot holder is in the garden working. Also as our garden is on the side of  a community centre we have invited all centre users to enjoy the garden which they do for meal/coffee breaks, also the community centre part time staff member opens the garden up when she’s there, but the garden is closed whenever there is no key holder around. Experimenting with taking down fences has been good for some gardens but there are always the Friday night croud who every now and then come in and wreak havok often destroying individual plots – a community garden may be more robust than individual food plots?
If you discover a perfect model please let me know!!!

With raised garden beds I feel that soft edges are important! Vertical bag beds are great! Space under to wheel chairs is good so as to minimise back twist but these need to be clean so that wheeling your knees under isn’t a move towards spiders and other unknowns, tyre beds are good if you can get nice big tractor tyres (pile of tyres to appropriate height, fill with compost nice deep bed, easy to take apart and rebuild, particularly good when painted in patterns/colours)...

All the best
Dig In Community Gardens
Melbourne Australia